December 19, 2005

I'm not going to a doctor in Japan (at least I really hope not!)

So this is about the goal of any foreigner (and should be the goal of a great deal of Japanese) - don't go anywhere near the health system in the Japan.

Opticians however are cheap, and reliable - I probably wouldn't go for laser eye though. And contact lenses are available EVERYWHERE - so surely they can't be too shit. So don't make the same mistake as me and spend over $400 on a new set of frames and transition lenses that would probably cost about $80 here. I'm hoping to get some of these magical cheap MEGANE next year, for even cheaper with my public health insurance.

On the medical front I have been lucky enough to avoid hospital ventures beyond my cut finger that the doctor couldn't even see. However last week was the yearly obligitory work provided check up that all Japanese companies under the public health scheme have to go. This I thought was good - its free, I'm surrounded by some handy translators, and most importantly as far as I knew I wasn't sick.

The check up includes a urine test. Which rather than pissing in a jar involved pissing on a stick. Now if I had been witty at the time I would have used the line I can safely use now - "well, I can tell them already I'm pretty sure I'm not pregnant" (Oh c'mon its classic). Pissing on a stick much like
taking medicine up the ass seems incredibly pointlesss and bluntly - gross - compared to the 'regular' way to Western people. I'm sure the Japanese have a reasoned clearcut explanation for the change - it probably has to do with Fetish AVs.

Next was an Eye test - which thankfully didn't involve reading kana characters - just looking at an E and saying left, right, up, down depending on its facing. I got to practice these words in Japanese - and also 見えない "Can't see it" - incidentally the phrase I learnt last time I was at a doctor's office in Japan.

Blodd Pressure - 130/85 which I was afraid was high - but
(trustable freesource) says its A-OK.

Then a breath check with a standard stethoscope and a partly English speaking GP. But I do swear he mixed up the words for 'shirt' and 'pants' when I walked in and he said "Okay take off your -----". After a breif worry, I checked and it was shirt - and as I don't have boobs so it was no weird groping adventure for me.

Next was an X-Ray. Which I said no. You don't need any more of these cancer causing rays than you need.

So there was my second safe and worry-free patient situations with doctors in Japan. Though one of my worries about potential indulging in Winter Extreme sports (maybe some hardcore tabogganning) this New Year is having to deal with an actual injury in a hospital. Let's hope for a safe adventurous snow season. Thats if I can get any snow here =( itr all seems to fall on teh Westside, and I'm in the Eastside. Word Up to Your Mother.

REVENGE OF THE TAGS
*
*********

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home