February 03, 2005

I think I'm turning Japanese

(I really think so...)

So now that its February, I'm making attempts at re-learning and learning Japanese.


This started with with an abysmal attempt at freehand recollection of hiragana and katakana last night. Followed up by an only slightly more impressive go tonight. I managed all hiragana (though "So" gave me trouble), but katakana was probably just as bad as the night before. This is perplexing, I used to rule at katakana, and it were one's I know off by heart like "ta", "chi", "ku", "ke" and the h and r series - its difficult because I'll probably be doing more reading than writing but I have yet to find a "random tester" or somesort on the internet.

On the internet (and in my book) I've found that Japanese speak like me: I often end up annoying my mother by answering negative questions directly.
"You don't want dessert"
"Yes" (I don't won't dessert)
"You do want dessert"
"No, Yes I don't want dessert"
"Make sense and stop frustrating me"
*sigh*

Jordi also helps "gaijin" out by letting them further learn the art of yes and no in Japan. I'm at times egotistical (Why thank you, it is a nice tie, I picked it myself) and at times bluntly rude (Not interested.) with English, so I am going to have to work at removing that with Japanese.


Other things to add to vocab:
  • counting things
  • colours (akai, midori, kuroi, shiroi, aoi, murusaki, kiiroi)
  • Days-of-the-Week - I know Sat, Sun and Mon (Do-yo-bi, Nichiyo-bi, Getsuyo-bi --- how do I phonetic characters o with a - over the top?)
  • places (toshokan, eigo, kouen, bi-chi)
  • Transport (shinkansen, densha, kuruma, basu)
I'm going to try an pay attention to what sort of words/memes I commonly use in English and add them too.



In other news: Ellen is now in Italy. Maybe she'll get to go to the Pope's funeral, I heard he collapsed again.



PS - A story with a face For those Bastards who celebrated the death of Swedes in Tsunami

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home