January 04, 2006

二十歳で二十歳 - Hatachi in Hitachi

So I have come back from Seijin Shiki. I'm sober. It's not yet 5pm. And the only slim chance of success I got was the repeated Hard Gay impressions from a peroxide blonde bearded male Japanese university student. Maybe its a good thing I wasn't drunk.

At least the good news is I can catch the brand spanking new series of Monkey. Fuck yeah! With SMAP's Shingo and the guy from Densha Otako. No nonsense(??!) Buddhist ass kicking fun.

So this adventure actually starts back on Saturday night, or even further Friday night. But I won't regale my tales of hanging out with HHD from I, but due to lack of "dansei" (women) he wasn't quite the jerk I'd come to expect --- though after meeting me in my first week in Hitachi, 7 months ago, he couldn't quite remember ever seeing me before. It involved a lot of alcohol, and having the sneaking suspicion that emetia may have lodged itself in my throat for the next 12 hours.

Saturday night involved less alcohol and visiting a local club that I haven't been to in about 4 months, despite it being about 1 minute from apartment. It doubles as a restaurant Mondey-Friday, so I have actually been on the premises, but club night involves a door charge, and have a reputation for being non-crowded and even less women. Either due to a conglomeration of DJs performing that night, a raffle and hence the drawcard of friends' friends - I'm suspecting that reputation to be less and less deserved. Though I must confess that by 10:30 I was considering packing it in after the beer in my hand due to it being a major cockonlyfest except for I swear 1 guy's girlfriend and cute Miss Seaweed-girl behind the bar. When, hello ladies, a swathe of swarming asian cuties (and as must be mentioned non-cuties) came in. Though when greeted by the sight of about 20 oggling young males I think a few of those who retreated back out the door probably went right back out into the street and not just upstairs.

So with the foil of pseudo-English speaking Japanese males to bounce off, I was able to engage in some conversation, and learn that the majority of those present were in fact my own age (or younger -- and not high school students mind you!). Jackpot! This isn't from a purely sex point of view. I had almost reached the conclusion that between highschool and the age of 25 a small blackhole must exist in Tokai (I have to blame the Nuclear Plant) that sucks you out of the entire Ibaraki region. Either that or my Mum trained of Japanese parents to become a hard-assed party-life destroying bitch. New Year's Eve, despite being quite fun, definitely made me realise I really need some University Student same age friends, its sad passing fact of life when you skip key critical life stages. Damn you universe and IQ.

So the night worked well. Another extremely hot mind and body girl slipped through my grasp. So it moved back into proto-jerk mode to make more acquantances with the youth of Hitachi. So I was left ultimately with yet another swirling calvacade of similar sounding Japanese names and similar looking faces. About the only correct match of name and face I made today still took ages because the guy had massive spiky hair, but when I met him it was all in a bandana.

This isn't me being a misinformed bigot of racist. Japanese have an astounding array of differences in hair style, eye shape, ears, noses and even skin tone just like any other "ethnic group" --- but the fact remains that hair colour and eye colour, major basic features -- especially for a poor Myopic bastard like me are pretty much the same all round. I also sucked with remembering names back home when people wore different clothes, had different hair, different voices and had more than two expressions. I had very little hope of matching names to faces when presented with practically all guys in suits, and all girls not only in kimonos, but dolled up enough with make-up and styling to make them that much harder to identify.

Still I was able to rely on being gaijin being practically impossible to be overlooked by those with some recognition. So was able to meet even more people who I probably won't remember their names especially whne they are introduced to me with names like "Ninja", "Japanes Comedian", "Mafia" and "Rock God". Another hinderance about making friends with young people is not a general lack of maturity - but that those willing to make the plunge into talking to foreign looking guy in a traditionally xenophobic culture - are already missing that certain uniformitifying factor that endears them to those still fond of the more mainstream Japanese culture. As its who you knows that matters, being introduced by a guy that's a bit of a jerk to his friends taints you. But as jerks are the guys who are actually willing to talk to people, I say good on them, and long live the jerk -They are not so bad, just their ways go on misunderstood.

Or all you nice bastards start being friendlier than the jerks.

1 Comments:

At Fri May 18, 11:08:00 pm AEST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently there are otaku like Desha Otako that would save a lady in distress.
http://japansugoi.com/wordpress/seed-of-trivia-would-you-save-a-lady-in-distress-like-desha-otako/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home